Tuesday, March 17, 2009

PCOS

I forgot to mention this in the first post, but I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) at the age of 15 (I'm 22 now). I'm not sure which causes which - does PCOS cause obesity or does obesity cause PCOS? They don't seem to be sure. When the doctor was diagnosing me she asked if I was overweight from a young age, because apparently that's one of the symtoms. It was only then that I realized I had been overweight from about 6 years of age. I was a very hyper child and my parents didn't like to keep junk food in the house, so how did I begin to get overweight? I do remember that I loved junk food, but I had very limited access to it so it wasn't like I ate lots of it. On the show Nick and Kate plus Eight, the wife has PCOS (hence the fertility drugs) and she's skinny. I've been told that if I lose enough weight, the symptoms of my PCOS will subside but it will still be there. I think maybe PCOS makes it more likely for a person to be overweight, and that being overweight exacerbates the PCOS. All I know is that they're still unsure about the causes :S

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin! Good luck on your WeightWatchers journey, Ive started following you're blog (to keep either you or me motivated, I dont care who!). Btw, Jon n Kate Plus 8: She's had a tummy tuck (possibly two) So don't be too hard on yourself comparing your condition to hers! :) SHe has the luxury of cosmetic surgery that the average joe doesnt have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks :) Of course, she was pregnant with 6 kids at one point so she might have needed a tummy tuck! Glad to have you here, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete